Monday, March 15, 2010

Bullying

I know the topic of bullying well. For three years in elementary school, I was shunned and bullied. I couldn't defend myself, didn't want to defend myself because I as afraid of what would happen if I did. Once it got to the point where I didn't want to go to school, and even after contacting the school, talking to the principal in person, it didn't stop. This before the bullying bylaw, so there was nothing to be done. I couldn't stay in side at recess, not all the time, so it didn't stop. I made friends with few and didn't trust easily. The kicker is that everyone who bullied me, didn't hesitate to ask or help in class, and I helped them anyways, because that's the kind of person I am.

I under stand David's feelings immensely, but never once did I consider running away. I could never do that to my family. But things did get better in high school at least. No one spread any stories, and I have more friends then ever, not too many though.

The main idea in this story is bullying, and how it can affect more than just the person being bullied, and that it can spread to affect a greater number of people. The police didn't believe David, so he was left to fight the battles on his own. He lost faith in others and the system, as it was little to no help. In the end he had no option but to run away, as the law said he had to go to school, which just meant more bullying. I think that in the end, in order to escape, he ran away, so that the law couldn't force him to face his problems anymore.

No matter what anyone does, no matter who the kid tells, bullying will continue, because adults haven't figured out a proper way to deal worth it. In today's generation, kids don't care if adults yell at them. So if suspend a kid for a few days, its not a punishment, its a good thing. They get to spend time at home, and when they get back, the bullying resumes. Innocent kids are hurt because of the school systems inability to find an acceptable solution.

2 comments:

  1. I was bullied a lot throughout elementary schools too. I also got to a point where I just didn't want to go to school and I pretended to be sick more and more just to stay home. Except even in highschool I'm still kind of bullied. Even by people I once thought were my friends. Recently though, I've cleaned the slate so to speak, and things are getting better every day. One day, people will realise that bullying is stupid, and one day, everyone will appreciate us because we're good people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justice is a system long lost and forgotten.

    ReplyDelete